Recipe for Mrs. Alefiya Faizullabhoy-Poonawala’s Indian curry chicken (serves 4)
1” piece ginger
7 cloves garlic
1 sprig curry leaves (approximately 10 leaves)
½ cup almond powder or cashew powder
½ teaspoon aniseed
2 Pieces (2 Stars) Star Anise
5 tablespoons raw peanuts
5 pods black pepper
½ teaspoon chili powder
Salt to taste
1 lb chicken (cut in 2”chunks)
½ cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons oil
½ tomato finely chopped
10 easy steps to prepare Mrs. Alefiya Faizullabhoy-Poonawala’s Indian curry chicken
- Grind the ginger and garlic to a fine smooth paste. (You may use a coffee bean grinder or a blender to grind the ginger and garlic to a fine paste.)
- Cover the chicken chunks with the paste and boil the chicken in about 4 cups of water until the meat is tender (approximately 15-20 minutes for boneless chicken thigh chunks). Set the meat and the broth aside.
- Take all the dry ingredients and use the "pulse" button to make a fine mixture. If you don’t have a pulse button on your blender, just use the “blend” or “grind” button.
- In oil, add about 10 curry leaves until they crackle.
- Add the dry ingredient mix. Cook until the oil is separated from the paste. You should see the oil separating from the paste after a minute or two.
- Add finely chopped tomato. After it is well fried, add the chicken chunks.
- Add about 4 cups of the chicken broth.
- Simmer for a few minutes until a layer of oil appears on the surface.
- Add ½ can of coconut milk and salt to taste.
- Serve with rice or bread.
Mrs. Alefiya Faizullabhoy-Poonawala is a member of the Islamic congregation Anjuman-E-Badri
131-24 Springfield Boulevard
Springfield Gardens, NY 11413
Leader: Janab Aamil Saheb Yusuf Bhaisaheb Mohammedi
Join A Journey's unique visit with Anjuman-E-Badri: