Every Dec. 12, Mexicans celebrate the Virgin Mary because they believe she appeared to a peasant at the hill of Tepeyac, near Mexico City, in the 1500s. This tradition continues with Mexican immigrants in the South Bronx, as they gather with the congregation of St. Augustine’s Catholic Church.
Home › Irasema Romero
Follow us on Twitter
- Muslims in New York City, Part I
- NYC is a place where we can be friends, Pastor Taylor Field, East 7th Street Baptist Church-Graffiti
- Tough love, Muslim American style
- Kunta Kinte of Highbridge, Bronx Community District 5
- Being Muslim in New York by Jennifer Schwarz
- New York is a beacon, Rev. J. Kirk van der Swaagh, Neighborhood Church of Greenwich Village
- Beyond Cuba and Castro December 22, 2014Dear reader, First Things provides a place where faith has a voice. Will you make sure that voice is heard by helping us reach our goal of raising $500,000 by the end of the year? Your gift will help underwrite the cost of publishing First Things, maintain firstthings.com, and fund our other work, including the Junior Fellows Program, […]
- Helping to Break the Cycle of Family Instability December 19, 2014Can people in bad, poor areas break out of the cycle of family instability that puts children at risk academically, economically, socially, and emotionallya cycle currently working its way through the working class? As we describe in our 2014 report for the National Marriage Project, “Facilitating Forever,” community organizations receiving federal funding approved by both […]
- "Pray for our city" by Malakai Tha Truth
- The Power of a Pioneer Harlem Woman. Updated with video!
- Harlem and Thailand: parallel universes in the Mormon world
- HARLEM. Give a shout out for Mano! Exclusive for A Journey through NYC religions
- Handel’s Messiah Part 3, 53. Worthy is the Lamb by The Abyssinian Baptist Church Choir & Chamber Orchestra
Jews of NYC
- The Bluegrass Shabbat as a cradle for a renewal of faith
- Ed Koch, ready to give God trouble. We will miss him. December 12, 1924 - February 1, 2012
- Faith coalition wants city to fund more homeless shelters for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender youth
- OpEd Debate: Kosher Jesus? By Shmuley Boteach, Howard Teich & Paul De Vries
Don’t see your religious interest or site?
Don't worry. We will get to them down the road.
If you have any suggestions of religious sites to visit or people to talk to, we would love your advice. Just leave a comment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Look forward to seeing you down the road!