Every Dec. 12, Mexicans celebrate the Virgin Mary because they believe she appeared to a peasant at the hill of Tepeyac, near Mexico City, in the 1500s. This tradition continues with Mexican immigrants in the South Bronx, as they gather with the congregation of St. Augustine’s Catholic Church.
Home › Irasema Romero
Follow us on Twitter
Mosque City NY
- The period of New York Muslim experimentation, 1893-1939
- A painful end to 2015
- Get to know Mosque City NY 2015. Updated!
- Immigration is driving the founding of new mosques
- Evangelical Church Growth
- NYC's Brazilian "Black Swans"
- Postsecular NYC & Jacob Riis
- "An infectious embrace of the urban landscape"
- 2000 NYC Religious Census
- The Making of the Postsecular City. The Manhattan Evangelicals, Part 1
- On “Owning” the Church March 22, 2017The question of “who owns the Church” has had a stormy history in Catholic America, although the terms of reference have changed considerably over time. In the nineteenth century, “lay trusteeism”—a system of lay boards that owned parish property and sometimes claimed authority over the appointment and dismissal of pastors—was a major headache for the […]
- Can We Talk? March 21, 2017So much of the Bible, and thus so much of the Bible’s theology, takes place through conversations. Three unknown visitors show up one day at the tent of Abraham. Sarah makes tea and listens in on the talk around the table and hears about a child of promise to be born in her old age, […]
- Jackie Robinson's Brooklyn
- 400th Anniversary of King James Bible Celebrated in NYC @ MOBIA
- African American faith and freedom in pre-colonial Harlem
- Faint Sounds of Jazz in the Catholic church
- Illustrated Explorer's Guide to God's Row Ralph Avenue, Crown Heights
Don’t see your religious interest or site?
Don't worry. We will get to them down the road.
If you have any suggestions of religious sites to visit or people to talk to, we would love your advice. Just leave a comment or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Look forward to seeing you down the road!