Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On September 29, 2015 we had our 27,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (62 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (55 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- Baptist Pastor in Bangladesh Survives Knife Attack October 7, 2015The assault comes after the killings of two foreigners in the country last week, for which the Islamic State claimed responsibility.
- Pakistan Moves to Quiet Outcry Against Saudi Arabia Over Hajj Stampede October 7, 2015Scores of Pakistani pilgrims were killed in the disaster, and many families still do not know what happened to their relatives.
- Rhodes and the Balanced Life October 6, 2015The fury of attempts to draw neat ethno-national-religious lines is matched only by its futility.
- Pope Francis to travel to Mexico in 2016 October 6, 2015Pope Francis will travel to Mexico in 2016, a Vatican spokesman said Tuesday, without specifying the trip's dates. Federico Lombardi confirmed a Mexican Televisa television report that the Argentine pontiff will visit the country, where he will pray at the basilica of Our Lady of Guadalupe, one of the most visited Catholic pilgrimage sites in […]
- Vatican: Pope Francis to visit Mexico next year, no date yet October 6, 2015The Vatican says Pope Francis is planning to visit Mexico next year. The Vatican spokesman, the Rev. Federico Lombardi, confirmed Tuesday that plans are underway for the trip and said it would include ...
- Pope says Church stance on marriage not up for review at synod October 6, 2015Pope Francis has told bishops taking part in a Church review of family teachings that its stance on the indissolubility of marriage was not up for discussion, despite hopes of an opening towards remarried divorced people. The pontiff, who was not expected to address the global synod on the family on Tuesday, spoke out after […]
October 6, 2015, 7:00pm EDT
20 churches, 7 blocks, 1 street. 14 churches nearby.
October 5, 2015, 6:00am EDT
The design of news media came into play, at least by name, in the very first newspaper in America, Publick Occurrences Both Forreign and Domestick.
September 24, 2015, 3:25pm EDT
Buddhist abbots believe that clear words can clean hearts. So, being clear about who we are in New York City might have spiritual benefits.
September 23, 2015, 6:37pm EDT
Rabbi Sharon Kleinbaum of Congregation Beit Simchat Torah hopes that the new openness means that the pope will “expand his view” to allow gay Catholics ...
September 22, 2015, 4:08pm EDT
Celebrating the Jewish holidays with three distinct Judaisms
September 21, 2015, 10:57am EDT
The Muslims, like other religious groups in the city, divide between those who put politics at the center of their social involvement, and others, who ...
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
On the list of schools that are in danger of being closed.
Mrs Barbara Kingson
Blessed Sacrament School, Jackson Heights, Queens
790 Elton Ave,(718) 665-9073
Pastor Lydia Lebron-Rivera
La Resurreccion, Bronx
Concerned for families and helping people with substance abuse.
Rev. Neil A Morgetson
Sunnyside Reformed Church, Queens
First Church does “bang up” job feeding the community every Wednesday 5:30 – hot nutritious meal, fruit, veggies, desert. Also, check out their food pantry, tutoring, family fun Fridays, advocacy through 10% is Enough campaign.
89-60 164th St
Rev Patrick O'Connor
First Presbyterian Church, Jamaica, Queens
Interesting, thoughtful pastor; we definitely want to stop here again!
Pastor Jose Gonzalez-Colon
First Spanish Presbyterian Church, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
What's happening at A Journey this Fall!
See our upcoming features!
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
Stephen Colbert's Catechism
Stephen Colbert with Father James Martin
Kitchens of Faith: German Caraway Eggs at St. Thomas Lutheran Church & African Tartale at Vineyard Christian Center
Chef Debbie Yeung explores what New Yorkers in the Bronx are cooking in their houses of worship.