Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On October 18, 2014 we had our 18,800,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an online magazine that ventures new ways of reporting about religion. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (65 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (61 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (55 comments)
- Vatican Synod on Family October 23, 2014John C. Hirsh of Georgetown University writes that the synod document leaves open the possibility of further discussion.
- Turkey: Man Sought by Danes Is Freed October 23, 2014Turkey has freed Basil Hassan, who is wanted by Denmark in the attempted murder of a prominent critic of Islam, Turkish officials said Wednesday.
- Modesty Is Her Best Policy October 23, 2014The creative force behind the Jewish lifestyle website Fabologie appeals to women of all backgrounds who are drawn to dressing with more decorum and less flash.
- Pope Francis plays long game to reform Catholic Church October 22, 2014VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - After winning praise around the world for his fresh and open style, the honeymoon period seems to be over for Pope Francis. A tumultuous two-week Vatican synod exposed polarization in the Catholic Church over his push to reform its traditional approach to sexual morality by becoming more welcoming to gays and […]
- Pope praises Bayern Munich after Roma rout October 22, 2014VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis welcomed the victorious Bayern Munich team to the Vatican after its 7-1 Champions League rout of Roma, telling the players Wednesday they "played a wonderful game" and receiving a signed jersey and ball in return.
- Church official pleads guilty in looting case October 22, 2014BOSTON (AP) — A former Boston church official who claimed in an autobiography that he was an enforcer for gangster James "Whitey" Bulger pleaded guilty on Tuesday to federal charges that he looted his church's assets.
October 22, 2014, 6:00am EDT
The food pantry of Shiloh Seventh Day Adventist Church on Eastern Parkway provides over $1 million a year in social welfare to Crown Heights residents.Share A Journey!More
October 20, 2014, 6:02am EDT
The taste of its food for the homeless doesn't disappoint! -- Upon This Rock Anointed Outreach Ministries of South Crown HeightsShare A Journey!More
Bushwick, Brooklyn started!
Done and over!
Fridayn & Saturday Night in Brooklyn!
Christian Hip Hop & Urban Gospel Awards
Place: Kumble Theater at LI University-Brooklyn
Click here for tickets & more info or 718-488-1624
Free Pre-Party Tonight, 7pm at Park Slope Tabernacle!
98 5th Avenue, Brooklyn
Mavis Staples. Photo: Chris Strong
WHITE LIGHT FESTIVAL
Oct 7 - Nov 11
Packed schedule includes:
Oct 7 & 8 St. Matthew Passion. Premier by Berliner Philarmononiker
Oct 22-24 How like an angel. Dance, circus and sacred songs.
Nov 4 Mavis Staples performs songs from One True Vine
Brooklyn Historical Society is located 128 Pierrepont Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11201 at the corner of Clinton Street in Brooklyn Heights.
Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 12-5pm
We train people to do street & youth outreach and for the chaplaincy.
157 Leonard St
Rev Marcos Miranda
Action in Christ International, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
"I rejoiced with those who said to me, 'Let us go to the house of the Lord.'" Psalm 122:1
1330 Louis Nine Blvd, 718-861-3951
Pastor Norberto Carrero
Torrente de Cedron, Bronx
Loving, teaching, training.
3752 Third Ave, 718-538-6578
Pastor Emmaline Carter
Full Gospel Church of Christ, Bronx
Ministry to the whole man
Our goal is to establish 1000 churches and orphanages worldwide by 2025
170-20 140th Ave
Dr. Chukwudi Ozo-Onyali. Jamaica, Queens
Abiding Word Ministry, Brooklyn
Runs an innovative program for homeless, jobless Latin Americans.
52-18 Bowne Street
Rev Juan Valenzuela
Iglesia Evangelica Presbyterian, Flushing, Queens
Church family that listens, teaches and guides.
191-02 105 Ave/199-21 Linden
Bishop Lee Ashley
Perpetual Church of the Apostolic Faith, St Albans, Queens
Branch of a Bronx Ghanaian church.
The Apostolic Church of SI
We do community organizing, small business ministry and a Bible institute.
99-07 Northern Blvd
Pastor Frank Almonte
Centro Cristano Adonai, Corona, Queens
1215-1217 Stratford Avenue, Bronx, NY 10472
Rev Peter Ihueze
Redeemer Christian Church of God Chapel of Restoration
ESL, sewing, computer, Hebrew & Bible classes.
125 Brighton Beach Avenue Second Floor
Mrs. Leslie McMillan
Russian Community Life Center, Brighton Beach, Brooklyn
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
Project 2X1 Crown Heights
Orthodox Jews live side by side with West Indians. Shot with Google Glass in 2013
A Believer’s journey at The New York Times
Deputy Metro Editor Mike Luo talks to The King’s College & the Christian fellowship of journalists Gegrapha
Xu Bing’s Phoenixes at St. John the Divine
A paen to the Chinese migrant worker inspired by Buddhist values. Xu lived in NYC for 20 years and considers it his 2nd home.
Ancient Egyptian religion in Brooklyn
A small group in Brooklyn sees the skyscrapers in Manhattan and think of the great pyramids of ancient Egypt.
PBS releases updated feature on A Journey through NYC religions!
“A Journey’s” firsthand reporting often turns conventional wisdom on its head.