Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On July 23, 2014 we had our 16,800,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an online magazine that ventures new ways of reporting about religion. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (85 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (61 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (61 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (55 comments)
- Iraqi Anger Rises as Militants Attack Mosul’s Cultural History July 31, 2014Sunni extremists in Mosul have deemed historic sites, including tombs and shrines, heretical under Islamic law and have destroyed or plan to destroy them, leaving residents to mourn.
- Religious Conservatives Embrace Proposed E.P.A. Rules July 31, 2014Conservative religious leaders, defying Republican orthodoxy, are reasserting their support for President Obama’s environmental policies at public hearings on new E.P.A. pollution rules.
- Zionism and Its Discontents July 30, 2014Israel's new war in Gaza and the failures behind it are a betrayal of the Zionism in which I still believe.
- Minnesota archbishop won't resign amid criticism July 30, 2014MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Despite criticism over how the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis has handled sex abuse claims involving priests, the archbishop says he will not resign.
- Vatican taking action in divisive Paraguay diocese July 30, 2014VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis is taking action in a divisive diocese in Paraguay where an Argentine priest, accused by a former superior of being a "serious threat to young people," has been removed as the No. 2.
- Australian asylum seeker policy is 'child abuse': religious leaders July 30, 2014By Matt Siegel SYDNEY (Reuters) - An Australian senator on Wednesday accused the government of trying to whitewash its hard-line asylum seeker policies by blocking access to a detention center holding 157 Sri Lankan migrants recently held at sea by authorities for almost a month. Under the policies, aimed at stopping asylum seekers reaching Australia's
July 21, 2014, 6:00am EDT
Bulldozers uprooted congregations, 5000+ people. A Journey RetroShare A Journey!More
July 17, 2014, 10:41pm EDT
Our Lady of Mount Carmel Roman Catholic Church runs this manageable, fun fiesta of immigrants from Nola, just outside of Naples, Italy.Share A Journey!More
Bushwick, Brooklyn started!
Brooklyn Historical Society is located 128 Pierrepont Street, Brooklyn, NY, 11201 at the corner of Clinton Street in Brooklyn Heights.
Hours: Wednesday-Sunday, 12-5pm
Church of the 4 All's: Applying all of the Bible to all of life so all members can glorify God in all they do.
11:00am and 2:00pm every Sunday, 49 Fulton St (at St. Margaret’s House)
Rev Paul Murphey
Messiah's Reformed Fellowship, Lower Manhattan
Supports "Bridge to Life"
Traditional and contemporary services
123-07 22nd Ave
Rev Arthur Gillespie
St John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, College Point, Queens
"We are based on Prayer for all the nations and people in need."
Rev Joshua Kim
Holy Mountain Korean Lutheran Mission, Elmhurst, Queens
We have turned ourselves into a recovery center for people hurt by Hurricane Sandy.
348 Beach 71st St
Arverne, NY 11692
Rev Darren Ferguson
Mt Carmel Baptist Church
We operate a pantry, give the word, pray with people from every nation.
Rev Argentina Ortiz
Liberation & Healing Ministries
We take care of the spiritual well-being of immigrants.
Rev Myo Maw
Myanmar Baptist Church, Elmhurst, Queens
"We work hard to help people to mature in Christ."
Rev Lissie Cook
New Brighton Church of God in Christ, SI
Serve bread & coffee on Thursday mornings to Hispanic day-laborers.
Rev Stanley Park
Cham Doen Presbyterian Church, Flushing, Queens
Outreach, mercy and tutoring.
Park Slope, 10:30am, John Jay High School, 237 7th Ave
Williamsburg, 5:30 pm @ St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 334 S. 5th St.
Flatbush, 10:30am, 911 Flatbush Ave.
Rev Matt Brown
Brooklyn Presbyterian Church, Prospect Park, Brooklyn
100-17 32and Ave
Rev Pierre Duvert
Episcopal Church of the Resurrection
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
Ancient Egyptian religion in Brooklyn
A small group in Brooklyn sees the skyscrapers in Manhattan and think of the great pyramids of ancient Egypt.
PBS releases updated feature on A Journey through NYC religions!
“A Journey’s” firsthand reporting often turns conventional wisdom on its head.
Xu Bing and the Phoenix
A paen to the Chinese migrant worker inspired by Buddhist values. Xu lived in NYC for 20 years and considers it his 2nd home.
They think of themselves as Muslim hipsters and call themselves Mipsterz.
Tim Keller. 25 Years in Manhattan
Singer Asha Sing & Poet Ramya Ramana
Mayor De Blasio’s inauguration poet mixes activism with faith.