Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On December 5, 2013 we had our 11,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an online magazine that ventures new ways of reporting about religion. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (85 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (61 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (55 comments)
- NYC public housing authority pulls Christmas Pearl Harbor on religious groups (53 comments)
- Nelson Mandela, Pundits and the Pope, Christmas Gift Giving December 6, 2013The legacy of Nelson Mandela; the pope’s document urging Catholics to do more for the poor; churches and alternative Christmas gift-giving; and the growing number of Hispanic Protestants in the U.S. The post Nelson Mandela, Pundits and the Pope, Christmas Gift Giving appeared first on Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly. […]
- Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013 December 6, 2013The first democratically elected president of South Africa died this week at the age of 95. We look back at the life and legacy of Nelson Mandela, who led the movement to end apartheid peacefully. More →The post Nelson Mandela, 1918-2013 appeared first on Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly. […]
- Pundits and the Pope December 6, 2013"He has given a higher priority to the church’s social teachings, to our obligations to the poor, and to criticism of an unjust economy than we have heard in a long time," says Washington Post columnist E. J. Dionne. More →The post Pundits and the Pope appeared first on Religion & Ethics NewsWeekly. […]
- Intellectuals on a Mission December 10, 2013In the new documentary “The Unbelievers,” an engaging, if contrasting, pair of scientists set off on a worldwide tour to promote reason.
- Philippines and Muslim Rebels Move Closer to Final Peace Deal December 10, 2013The two sides said they had reached agreement on sharing power in Muslim-dominated parts of the south and hoped to reach a final peace agreement by January.
- Utah: Mormons Address Exclusion of Black Priests December 10, 2013The Mormon Church, on its website, offers its most extensive explanation yet about its exclusion of blacks from the priesthood.
- Mormon church explains past ban on black priests December 10, 2013SALT LAKE CITY (AP) — More than three decades after reversing its prohibition of black priests, the Mormon church has disavowed the ban, saying it was put into place during an era of great racial divide that influenced early teachings of the church.
- Pope calls hunger 'global scandal,' urges lifestyle changes December 9, 2013Pope Francis denounced the "global scandal" of hunger on Monday, calling for an international "wave of prayer" to bring attention to the plight of the needy and homeless. Since his election in March, Francis, the former Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio of Argentina, has frequently beseeched global leaders to fight poverty and growing inequa […]
- Finance watchdog welcomes Vatican reform, urges bank oversight December 9, 2013By Philip Pullella VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - A European committee evaluating the Vatican's financial reforms said the Holy See had made significant progress but needed more internal controls over its bank and another key financial office, sources familiar with the report said on Monday. The plenary of Moneyval, a monitoring committee of the Council of Eu […]
December 6, 2013, 8:39am EST
Mandela told the audience, "In the words of the prophet Isaiah, 'We have risen up as on the wings of eagles.'"Share A Journey!More
November 28, 2013, 11:41am EST
Elmhurst, Queens BlvdShare A Journey!More
November 27, 2013, 6:30am EST
After the Civil War, Nast foresaw America in his “Uncle Sam’s Thanksgiving” (1869) as the place where everybody had a place at the table.Share A Journey!More
South Crown Heights finished!
Black Nativity (in Harlem) opens today
A musical adaptation of Harlem Renaissance writer Langston Hughes' drama BLACK NATIVITY.
Our ministry started as a Christian rehab center. We never close our doors to people.
609 E 182 St
Pastor Jose Vargas
Libres por Jesucristo, Bronx
We have an afterschool program K-12th!
We also have a team of Korean dance peformers for revival meetings.
45-64 162nd St
Rev. Mantto Lee
Antioch Missionary Church, Flushing, Queens
Prayer & Praise Plus--healing
1280 Flatbush Ave, (718)-724-3143
Rev Alfred Joseph
Bethesda Church of God in Christ, Flatbush, Brooklyn
Multi-ethnic, multi-language church.
142-10 Sanford Ave
Rev. Henry Kwan
First Baptist Church, Flushing, Queens
We are an "old school" church with "old school" values with a 21st Century mindset.
108 Manhattan Ave
Rev Jose Velez
La Iglesia De Dios, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
787 Elton Ave
We have all ages at our youth-friendly church!
Pastor Julio Vazquez
The Chapel, Bronx
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
Joe Sexton on the making of "Snowfall" for the NY Times
The struggle to forgive
Part of series on Hindu life in NYC
Camping out on the way to the Holy Land.
Look back: Fernando Cabrerra's Campaign Video
Richard Del Rio on his candidacy for NYC Council and his views on the issues
Kitchens of Faith cooks: Indonesian Chicken Rendang
Try out this delicious recipe from chef Henny Wong of Last Rain Ministry Church in Elmhurst, Queens!