Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On April 4, 2016 we had our 31,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (63 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (56 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- The Choice Explosion May 3, 2016American life today is defined by many options, but we often lack the techniques to make good decisions.
- If Not Trump, What? April 29, 2016It’s time to step back, take the long view and begin healing the pain that the campaign has illuminated.
- Getting to Zero April 26, 2016Hemingway’s life was in many ways a mess, but he proved it is possible to create honest and unvarnished art even in the midst of decline.
- Andrew Sullivan on Trump and Tyranny May 2, 2016Even a demagogue can't rule without (part of) the establishment behind him.
- The Idea of Trump’s Electability April 28, 2016Why many Republicans believe that Trump can win in November.
- Why Is Reaction Taboo? April 26, 2016Explaining the absence or weakness of reactionary thought.
- Caitlyn Jenner on North Carolina’s Bathroom Bill April 26, 2016The celebrity is a Republican, but has some disagreements with the GOP.
- Surgery: The Neglected Stepchild of Global Health April 20, 20165 billion people around the world cannot access safe or affordable surgery.
- Hillary Clinton and Bernie Sanders Go on the Attack in Democratic Debate April 15, 2016Both candidates are on the offensive, sometimes not even bothering to answer the question at play.
- Christian home targeted in Bangladesh bomb attack May 3, 2016Unidentified attackers hurled crude bombs at the home of a Christian family in Bangladesh on Tuesday leaving two people injured, police said, amid rising attacks on religious minorities in the Muslim-majority nation. The attackers targeted the home just after midnight in the mainly Christian hamlet in Bangladesh's western Chuadanga area, injuring 45-year-old Alam Mondol on […]
- Fire breaks out at historic Manhattan church May 2, 2016NEW YORK (Reuters) - A fire broke out on Sunday at Manhattan's historic Serbian Orthodox Cathedral of Saint Sava, the New York City Fire Department said.
- Raging fire destroys historic New York City church May 2, 2016NEW YORK (AP) — A historic church in New York City was destroyed in a raging fire just hours after its Orthodox worshippers celebrated Easter.
April 10, 2016, 6:00am EDT
The faith story behind the Ken Burns' PBS special on Jackie Robinson, April 11-12
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
Join Journey in Chinatown!
Interactive talk and show with Journey. 6:30 - 8:45 pm, Friday, May 29 @Creator's Voice Basement of 90 Bowery (the corner of Hester St & Bowery) Sponsored by Cornerstone Fellowship, Overseas Chinese Mission
Cities as Sacred Spaces
Join Journey for plenary address by Pauline Dolle at national conference held at NY Theological Seminary
12 Noon, Thursday, May 26, 2016
The Interchurch Center, 475 Riverside Drive, New York
Conference will cover the celebrations, diversity, wealth, power, knowledge, and ecology of cities.
RSVP for plenary luncheon or more information about conference: firstname.lastname@example.org
This church emphasizes education beyond Sunday school.
Chinese Christian Church, Woodside, Queens
Pastor Francisco Izidora
First Brazilian Church, Astoria, Queens
New Life is a mostly Liberian church that has a computer-orientated after-school program.
Rev. Laurenzo Stevens
New Life Church of SI
We have 17 Sunday school classes, one to fit every learning style. We are small enough to know you, but large enough to meet your needs.
464 E Tremont Ave
Bishop Charles H Harris, Sr
Morning Star Full Gospel Assembly, Bronx
4-year program for pastors, teachers and evangelists.
118 Bushwick Ave
Principal Martha Phegaray
Instituto Biblico Hispano, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
Click image for info on Mosque City NY
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
"Moses Goes Down" by Nina Paley
Exodus 3-7 featuring Moses & the Burning Bush. Music by Louis Armstrong & Sy Oliver’s Orchestra
"The Fire of the Messiah" by Gad Elbaz
Israeli folk singer Gad Elbaz and his father Benny Elbaz's duet "The Fire of the Messiah" (in Hebrew, Esh Shel Mashiach). "I have the fire of the Messiah, the fire of the Messiah in my heart."
Nina Paley's "Frogs"
Video of Exodus 3-7 featuring Moses & the Burning Bush. Music by Louis Armstrong & Sy Oliver’s Orchestra