Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On July 9, 2016 we had our 33,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (63 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (56 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- The Art of Gracious Leadership August 26, 2016It’s not too late for Hillary Clinton to learn.
- Why America’s Leadership Fails August 23, 2016The call to service is drowned out by the system’s noise, and a vocation becomes a career.
- Is Our Country as Good as Our Athletes Are? August 19, 2016We’re doing pretty well, in and outside of sports.
- A Last Look at the Romney Dream May 24, 2016Gaming out a Mitt-as-independent bid, because the next five months are too miserable to contemplate.
- Regarding the Trumpenproletariat May 17, 2016The nature of Trump's working class support, and its implications for liberals and the left.
- The Pessimist’s Case Against Trump May 10, 2016A word to the Trump-curious on Trump versus George W. Bush.
- A Challenge To My Fellow Evangelicals August 19, 2016I reject our unquestioned alignment with the G.O.P.
- Mothers to Homeland Security: We Won’t Eat Until We Are Released August 12, 2016"We left our homes to escape violence. Now we are locked up."
- Before Simone Biles, These Women Broke Barriers August 10, 2016Called the "best gymnast that has ever lived", there are still some milestones for which she won’t be eligible.
August 28, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Secularist policing in France. Vatican & secularist Chinese govt in negotiations.
August 22, 2016, 6:00am EDT
I kept my faith in a little box apart from the rest of my life.
Journey Everywhere: China: An architect of religion policy for Communist Party calls on govt to bring house churches out of darkness
August 20, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Exclusive look at intense behind the scenes debate over religion policy in China
August 19, 2016, 6:00am EDT
71-year old is growing his church!
August 17, 2016, 6:00am EDT
What if the anti-immigrant forces have their way? What would New York City faith look like? What happened by 2013 among Brazilian churches gives a ...
From Danceteria to The JCC: ‘70’s child, Rabbi’s daughter Shira Dicker finally had a Bat Mitzvah (party)
August 15, 2016, 6:00am EDT
A teenager of the 1970s who rebelled against the more conservative Jewish conventions is revisiting the “disco Judaism” of her h.s & college years. From ...
August 13, 2016, 6:00am EDT
New Jerusalem Holy Temple gives sidewalk counseling and other aid. Journey breaks story through social media.
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
- Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn. I didn’t make my mother smile.
Coming up in Brownsville, it was very…
- Announcing a new feature: Sojourns
A celebration of the people…
- #BedfordStuyvesant Sojourn -- Amziah James at Brighter Way Baptist Church #Brooklyn
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Artist Jerome Pogue
- "Sorry, Hillary, not this time." Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Jerusalem Refrigerator Corporation
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Willie Campbell at Friendship Baptist Church
- ACLU: Christian woman forced to remove headscarf for license
MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — The American Civil Liberties Union is suing county officials in Alabama who told a Christian woman to remove her headscarf for her driver's license photo. […]
- Egypt approves law on churches despite Christian opposition
CAIRO (AP) — Egypt's state news agency says parliament has approved a first-ever law to regulate the construction of churches despite opposition from rights groups and Coptic Christian leaders. […]
- Feds get more time to respond to church shooting lawsuits
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A judge has granted the federal government more time to respond to wrongful death lawsuits in the South Carolina church shootings that claimed the lives of nine black parishioners. […]
- Fire engulfs century-old Presbyterian church; no injuries
PHILADELPHIA (AP) — A massive fire engulfed a century-old Gothic church that hosted many programs for young children and gay worshipers, but no injuries were reported. […]
- Judge to hear objections to closing church shooting hearing
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A federal judge will hear from news media organizations objecting closing a hearing in the trial of the man charged in the deaths of nine black church members in Charleston. […]
- Pope Francis chats in person with Facebook CEO Zuckerberg
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has met with Facebook founder and CEO Mark Zuckerberg and Zuckerberg's wife, Priscilla Chan, at the Vatican. […]
- Neighbor churches, split on race lines, work to heal divide
There are two First Baptist Churches in Macon — one black and one white. They sit almost back-to-back, separated by a small park, in a hilltop historic district overlooking downtown. "We're literally ... […]
- Indonesian church attacker 'obsessed with IS leader'
An Indonesian teenager who stabbed a priest in a church and tried to set off a homemade bomb was obsessed with the Islamic State (IS) group leader, a minister said Monday. The 17-year-old attempted Sunday to set off the crude, low-grade explosive as the Catholic priest held mass in the packed church in Medan on Sumatra island, and then stabbed him with a knife. The congregation tackled the attacker after he ran at Father Albert Pandiangan and knifed him, stopping the teenager before he could do more harm. […]
- Indonesian church attacker 'obsessed' with Islamic State leader: senior minister
A knife-wielding Indonesian teen who tried to attack a priest at a church during a Sunday service was "obsessed" with extremist group Islamic State, a senior minister said on Monday. Indonesian authorities are increasingly worried about a resurgence in radicalism in the world's largest Muslim-majority country, driven in part by a new generation of jihadis inspired by Islamic State (IS). "From the cellphone that was seized by security forces, this youth was obsessed with Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi," Chief Security Minister Wiranto told reporters, referring to the leader of the Middle Eastern militant group. […]
- Pope mulls Italy quake visit as survivors dig in
Pope Francis said Sunday he wanted to visit the quake-hit villages of central Italy, as survivors and rescue workers dug in for the long haul with colder weather approaching. Speaking to worshippers in St Peter's Square in Rome, Francis said he wanted to visit those hit by Wednesday's deadly earthquake which brought devastation to a string of mountain villages in a remote area straddling the Umbria, Marche and Lazio regions. With hopes of finding anyone else still alive fading fast, rescue workers and survivors were turning their attention to the future as temperatures start to fall. […]
Click image for info on Mosque City NY
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
A Stiff Necked People by Nina Paley
The Bible becomes sheet music for lively Mosaic riffs of music and images.
"Ed Koch was our Moses" by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
At funeral services at Temple Emanu-El on 5th Avenue in 2013, Mayor Bloomberg said that Koch led the city out of despair and decay and gave us hope.
Javi's exodus from violent El Salvador to peace in Brooklyn, NY
See our exclusive day by day inside look at the flight from violent gangs and poverty in El Salavador to Brooklyn, NY