Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On July 9, 2016 we had our 33,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (63 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (56 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- Making Modern Toughness August 30, 2016Today’s youth may be emotionally fragile because of overprotective parents. But another reason may be that they haven’t found their purpose.
- The Art of Gracious Leadership August 26, 2016It’s not too late for Hillary Clinton to learn.
- Why America’s Leadership Fails August 23, 2016The call to service is drowned out by the system’s noise, and a vocation becomes a career.
- A Last Look at the Romney Dream May 24, 2016Gaming out a Mitt-as-independent bid, because the next five months are too miserable to contemplate.
- Regarding the Trumpenproletariat May 17, 2016The nature of Trump's working class support, and its implications for liberals and the left.
- The Pessimist’s Case Against Trump May 10, 2016A word to the Trump-curious on Trump versus George W. Bush.
- A Challenge To My Fellow Evangelicals August 19, 2016I reject our unquestioned alignment with the G.O.P.
- Mothers to Homeland Security: We Won’t Eat Until We Are Released August 12, 2016"We left our homes to escape violence. Now we are locked up."
- Before Simone Biles, These Women Broke Barriers August 10, 2016Called the "best gymnast that has ever lived", there are still some milestones for which she won’t be eligible.
August 31, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Mousama’s simple but powerful prayer translated from Wusulu (a language spoken in the country of Mali and elsewhere).
August 28, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Secularist policing in France. Vatican & secularist Chinese govt in negotiations.
August 22, 2016, 6:00am EDT
I kept my faith in a little box apart from the rest of my life.
Journey Everywhere: China: An architect of religion policy for Communist Party calls on govt to bring house churches out of darkness
August 20, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Exclusive look at intense behind the scenes debate over religion policy in China
August 19, 2016, 6:00am EDT
71-year old is growing his church!
August 17, 2016, 6:00am EDT
What if the anti-immigrant forces have their way? What would New York City faith look like? What happened by 2013 among Brazilian churches gives a ...
From Danceteria to The JCC: ‘70’s child, Rabbi’s daughter Shira Dicker finally had a Bat Mitzvah (party)
August 15, 2016, 6:00am EDT
A teenager of the 1970s who rebelled against the more conservative Jewish conventions is revisiting the “disco Judaism” of her h.s & college years. From ...
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Jerusalem Refrigerator Corporation
- Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- "Sorry, Hillary, not this time." Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn. I didn’t make my mother smile.
Coming up in Brownsville, it was very…
- Announcing a new feature: Sojourns
A celebration of the people…
- #BedfordStuyvesant Sojourn -- Amziah James at Brighter Way Baptist Church #Brooklyn
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Artist Jerome Pogue
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Willie Campbell at Friendship Baptist Church
- Judge closes hearing in Charleston church shooting trial
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — A hearing on suppressing evidence in the Charleston church shooting trial will be closed because an open hearing could compromise Dylann Roof's right to a fair trial, a federal judge ruled Wednesday. […]
- The Latest: Judge closes hearing in church shooting case
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — The Latest on objections made to closing a hearing in South Carolina church shootings trial (all times local): […]
- Indiana woman uses religious objections law in abuse defense
INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — The attorney for a woman charged with child abuse for allegedly beating her son with a coat hanger says Indiana's religious objections law gives her the right to discipline her children according to her evangelical Christian beliefs. […]
- Indonesian priest attack inspired by murder of French Catholic cleric
By Tom Heneghan JAKARTA (Reuters) - An Indonesian teenager who attacked a Catholic priest in his church was inspired by the murder of a French priest in July and guided by a radical compatriot in the Islamic State stronghold of Raqqa, Jakarta’s national police chief said on Wednesday. Karnavian said the unsuccessful attack showed the phenomenon of a “lone wolf” radicalized over the internet was spreading in the world’s largest Muslim-majority nation, projecting the violence of the Middle Eastern militant group Islamic State (IS) as far afield as Indonesia, where Muslims and Christians have mostly lived in harmony. The attacker took his inspiration from reports of the murder of Father Jacques Hamel, 85, who died after two militants slit his throat during Mass in a suburb of Rouen in northern France in July. […]
- Pope extends stamp on Church with new human development ministry
Pope Francis on Wednesday announced the creation of a new Vatican ministry for human development in the latest move by the reforming pontiff to put his personal stamp on the Catholic Church. The new Dicastery for Promoting Integral Human Development is being established by papal decree and will start work on January 1. Francis is to retain personal oversight of Vatican policy on migration, an issue dear to his heart. […]
- Chris Stapleton, Maren Morris, Eric Church lead CMA nods
NEW YORK (AP) — Chris Stapleton, Eric Church and budding newcomer Maren Morris are the leaders at the 2016 Country Music Association Awards. […]
- Pope to oversee migration issues in shakeup of Vatican offices
Pope Francis on Wednesday announced major changes to the Vatican bureaucracy, slimming down the number of offices and giving himself direct charge of migration issues, continuing a reform push he promised when elected more than three years ago. In a document known as a Motu Proprio, Latin for "by his own initiative", the pope said he would merge four Vatican offices into a "Dicastery for the Service of Integral Human Development" starting on Jan. 1. When elected in 2013, Francis pledged to cleanse the Church's bureaucracy, which had been rocked by scandals and charges of greed and corruption. […]
- Pope assumes responsibility for migrants in Vatican reform
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis is showing his profound concern for refugees by assuming direct responsibility for migrant issues in a new Vatican department that merges four Vatican offices into one handling peace, the environment and human trafficking issues. […]
- Pope applauds Colombia peace deal but sidesteps truth panel
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has praised Colombia's peace deal but has declined an invitation to have a Vatican envoy help select judges for the proposed truth and justice commission. […]
- Pope welcomes Colombia ceasefire, declines Vatican role
Pope Francis on Wednesday welcomed the end of Colombia's war with the FARC rebels but declined an invitation to help establish a court to prosecute atrocities committed during the conflict. Francis, the first pontiff to come from Latin America, had been asked to appoint a representative to a five-person panel entitled the Special Peace Jurisdiction, which will be charged with trying and sentencing individuals accused of committing war crimes during the 52-year conflict. Francis "was pleased to learn that negotiations have been finalised between the government and FARC," the Vatican said in a statement. […]
Click image for info on Mosque City NY
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
A Stiff Necked People by Nina Paley
The Bible becomes sheet music for lively Mosaic riffs of music and images.
"Ed Koch was our Moses" by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
At funeral services at Temple Emanu-El on 5th Avenue in 2013, Mayor Bloomberg said that Koch led the city out of despair and decay and gave us hope.
Javi's exodus from violent El Salvador to peace in Brooklyn, NY
See our exclusive day by day inside look at the flight from violent gangs and poverty in El Salavador to Brooklyn, NY