Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On July 9, 2016 we had our 33,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (63 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (56 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- The Death of the Republican Party July 22, 2016Donald Trump’s acid bath hollows out the G.O.P.
- The Dark Knight July 22, 2016Donald Trump’s promise to save us from a malevolent world employs the same argument used by just about every other demagogue since the dawn of time.
- Trump Is Getting Even Trumpier! July 19, 2016Is the Republicans’ nominee losing it?
- A Last Look at the Romney Dream May 24, 2016Gaming out a Mitt-as-independent bid, because the next five months are too miserable to contemplate.
- Regarding the Trumpenproletariat May 17, 2016The nature of Trump's working class support, and its implications for liberals and the left.
- The Pessimist’s Case Against Trump May 10, 2016A word to the Trump-curious on Trump versus George W. Bush.
- Split-Second Decisions that Leave Black and Brown People Dead July 11, 2016We must interrogate our obsession with militarized policing.
- The Deadliest Guns Need the Most Control July 7, 2016We won’t reduce gun violence until we recognize that some guns are more dangerous than others.
- Tackling Teen Pregnancy (With More Than Just Sex Ed) June 23, 2016A program gives kids a stake in the future.
July 24, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Quick glance and in-depth
July 22, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Talking Trump, Clinton and Princess Di with Pastor Walter Deloatch of Tiberia Baptist Church on Ralph Avenue
July 18, 2016, 6:00am EDT
The PKs of NY series explored the lives and views Preacher Kids.http://www.nycreligion.info/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Full-Gospel-Hour-111114d.mp3
July 15, 2016, 3:47pm EDT
Is American going down? Are we a fermenting vat of self-destruction? Doomed to an endless chewing over our grievances until all joy is gone?
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
- Alabama jailer charged with using Bible to smuggle drugs
FLORENCE, Ala. (AP) — A county jail guard in Alabama has been charged with trying to smuggle drugs inside a Bible. […]
- Newport Jazz Festival gets new vision with Christian McBride
Christian McBride is no stranger to the main stage at the Newport Jazz Festival and this year he'll again be up there in a trio with pianist Chick Corea and drummer Brian Blade. But he'll also be turning his attention to a new role backstage as he takes over as artistic director from festival founder George Wein. […]
- Francis and Poland differ on migrants ahead of pope's visit
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Support for migrants is so central to Pope Francis' vision for the church that he has made welcoming them a potential test for those seeking entry to Heaven on Judgment Day. […]
- Pope condemns terrorism and violence in Munich and Kabul
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis has condemned "deplorable acts of terrorism and violence" in Munich and Kabul that have left dozens dead in recent days. […]
- Rebuilding peace: Cyprus restores derelict churches, mosques
MYRTOU, Cyprus (AP) — Seyfi Tunelci long watched in sorrow as the derelict Orthodox Christian monastery at Myrtou in Cyprus' overwhelmingly Muslim north crumbled before his eyes. Now he's part of an island-wide team toiling to repair the medieval building and dozens of other Christian and Muslim sites that fell into ruin during decades of ethnic division. […]
- Court: Birth control mandate violates religious rights
JEFFERSON CITY, Mo. (AP) — A federal judge has ruled in favor of a Missouri lawmaker who cited religious objections while challenging the inclusion of birth control coverage in his government-provided health insurance. […]
- Clinton picks Kaine, devout Catholic and bridge-builder
In announcing Sen. Tim Kaine as her running mate on Friday, Hillary Clinton put forward exactly what she wants – someone with deep governing experience and national security expertise. Recommended: In Pictures What does a "great America" look like? […]
- Emails: Group asked governor for religious objections order
JACKSON, Miss. (AP) — Emails disclosed in a lawsuit over a blocked Mississippi law that protects religious objections to same-sex marriage show a Christian legal group asked Gov. Phil Bryant to institute the protections through an executive order in 2015. […]
- Venezuela's government accepts Vatican mediation in crisis
CARACAS, Venezuela (AP) — President Nicolas Maduro has accepted a proposal by the opposition to ask the Vatican to facilitate dialogue with Venezuela's socialist government. […]
- As nuns' numbers fall, pope says OK to use social media
VATICAN CITY (AP) — A Vatican official says the number of nuns who dedicate their lives to prayer and contemplating God is dwindling, even as Pope Francis has written a new document praising their relevance in the world. […]
Click image for info on Mosque City NY
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
A Stiff Necked People by Nina Paley
The Bible becomes sheet music for lively Mosaic riffs of music and images.
"Ed Koch was our Moses" by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
At funeral services at Temple Emanu-El on 5th Avenue in 2013, Mayor Bloomberg said that Koch led the city out of despair and decay and gave us hope.
Javi's exodus from violent El Salvador to peace in Brooklyn, NY
See our exclusive day by day inside look at the flight from violent gangs and poverty in El Salavador to Brooklyn, NY