Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On September 8, 2016 we had our 34,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are an incubator and educator for new ways of doing religion reporting and understanding the postsecular city. We are nonsectarian and nonpartisan and open to anyone's cool and authoritative reporting on NYC religion.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (86 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (78 comments)
- Muslims in New York City, Part I (66 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (63 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (56 comments)
Our crack reporter senses the Buddha is close.
- The Clinton Calendar September 23, 2016Clintonworld lives in one century and the rest of us in another.
- Dignity and Sadness in the Working Class September 20, 2016One man’s journey through postindustrial America.
- The Uses of Patriotism September 16, 2016High school football players, let me try to persuade you why pulling a Kaepernick is counterproductive.
- A Last Look at the Romney Dream May 24, 2016Gaming out a Mitt-as-independent bid, because the next five months are too miserable to contemplate.
- Regarding the Trumpenproletariat May 17, 2016The nature of Trump's working class support, and its implications for liberals and the left.
- The Pessimist’s Case Against Trump May 10, 2016A word to the Trump-curious on Trump versus George W. Bush.
- Notes on Donald Trump From a Gun Shop September 20, 2016The mainstream media could learn a lot if they visited a gun shop.
- El Salvador’s “Abortion Lawyer” September 12, 2016Dennis Muñoz fights one of the most draconian abortion laws in the world.
- #1000BlackGirlBooks Campaign Expands September 6, 2016An 11-year-old dreams big.
September 25, 2016, 6:00am EDT
Religion news from around the world
Debate continues after French high court prohibited gun-toting secularist police from humiliating religious women on the beaches
September 17, 2016, 6:00am EDT
The principle of secularism is a spear in xenophobic, Islamophobic and sexist battles. Journey Everywhere feature
September 16, 2016, 6:00am EDT
So said Dutch colonial founders, according to R. Scott Hanson's new book City of Gods
September 12, 2016, 11:59am EDT
No. 24 in series on Fifteenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center
September 12, 2016, 11:27am EDT
No. 23 in series on Fifteenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center
September 12, 2016, 10:45am EDT
No. 22 in series on Fifteenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center
September 12, 2016, 10:00am EDT
No. 21 in series on Fifteenth Anniversary of the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center
Bed-Stuy, Brooklyn has begun!
- "Sorry, Hillary, not this time." Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- Flushing, Queens Sojourn--Garnette Cadogan introduces "God's Row-Bowne Street"
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn. I didn’t make my mother smile.
Coming up in Brownsville, it was very…
- Sojourn in #BedStuy, #Brooklyn
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Jerusalem Refrigerator Corporation
- Flushing, Queens Sojourn --Religious liberty means good business in Flushing, Queens
- Announcing a new feature: Sojourns
A celebration of the people…
- Bedford Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Artist Jerome Pogue
- Bedford-Stuyvesant Sojourn -- Willie Campbell at Friendship Baptist Church
- #BedfordStuyvesant Sojourn -- Amziah James at Brighter Way Baptist Church #Brooklyn
- President Barack Obama rings bell from historic black church, opening first national museum on African-American history
WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama rings bell from historic black church, opening first national museum on African-American history. […]
- Pope urges 'sincere dialogue' as he meets Nice attack victims
Pope Francis on Saturday called for a "sincere dialogue" between Christians and Muslims as he met grieving relatives and survivors of France's Bastille Day attack, in which a jihadist ploughed his truck into a crowd. "The Muslim presence here today was indispensable," he said. […]
- Pope receives relatives of Nice attack victims at Vatican
VATICAN CITY (AP) — Pope Francis met one by one with relatives of the victims of this summer's truck attack in Nice, France, at the Vatican Saturday, encouraging them to resist what he called the great temptation to "respond to hatred with hatred and to violence with violence." […]
- Pope offers comfort to friends and relatives of Nice attack victims
By Steve Scherer VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Pope Francis on Saturday sought to comfort relatives and close friends of the more than 80 victims of the attack in Nice in July, who were run down by a man driving a truck as they celebrated France's national day. The pope began his solemn address by apologizing for not speaking French because he said his was not "bon". "It makes me happy to see that inter-religious relations are very vibrant among you, and this cannot but soothe the wounds left by this dramatic event," Francis said. […]
- Pope to meet families of Nice attack victims
Pope Francis will on Saturday hold a multi-faith meeting of grieving relatives and survivors of an attack in France in July when a jihadist ploughed his truck into a crowd in Nice. Last month the Argentine pontiff met with French President Francois Hollande to offer his support and condolences to a country which has been rocked by a series of deadly attacks since early 2015. While speaking out against violent acts carried out in the name of any god, Francis this week reminded the West that there were parts of the world being flattened by fighting. […]
- Pope Francis calls out journalists: Does the media needlessly foster fear?
The Vatican’s Pope Francis has strived to be a voice of peace and unity on a continent struggling to deal with a refugee crisis. On Thursday he spoke out once again, this time against mass media, which he says has the power to shape the public’s response to that challenge. During an address to Italy’s national journalism guild, Pope Francis told leaders of the industry that the press has the power to act like “terrorists” when it relies on gossip and rumors, particularly while covering humanitarian crises such as Europe’s influx of migrants. […]
- Defense: Roof won't ask jury for mercy in church trial
CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) — Defense attorneys don't intend to have Dylann Roof ask the jury for mercy during the penalty phase of his federal trial in the Charleston church shootings. […]
- Vatican makes new rules for miracles in saint-making
VATICAN CITY (AP) — The Vatican issued new rules Friday for the process to determine if healings qualify as miracles for sainthood, including safeguards against possible financial abuses. […]
- Burkina Faso a 'model of religious tolerance': Crisis Group
Burkina Faso, despite suffering Islamist attacks, stands out as a "model of religious tolerance", the International Crisis Group said in a report published Thursday. The report, entitled "Burkina Faso: Preserving the Religious Balance", stressed the prevailing tolerance created by a "deep-rooted" religious pluralism. "Burkina has never suffered civil war or religious conflict. […]
- Pope says journalism based on fear-mongering, gossip is form of 'terrorism'
By Philip Pullella VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - Journalism based on gossip or rumors is a form of "terrorism" and media that stereotype entire populations or foment fear of migrants are acting destructively, Pope Francis said on Thursday. Francis, who made his comments in an address to leaders of Italy's national journalists' guild, said reporters had to go the extra mile to seek the truth, particularly in an age of round-the-clock news coverage. "This is even more true for journalists because their voice can reach everyone and this is a very powerful weapon." In Italy, a number of newspapers are highly politicized and are regularly used to discredit those with differing political views, sometimes reporting unsubstantiated rumors about their private lives. […]
Click image for info on Mosque City NY
Twitter updatesMy Tweets
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
A Stiff Necked People by Nina Paley
The Bible becomes sheet music for lively Mosaic riffs of music and images.
"Ed Koch was our Moses" by NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg
At funeral services at Temple Emanu-El on 5th Avenue in 2013, Mayor Bloomberg said that Koch led the city out of despair and decay and gave us hope.
Javi's exodus from violent El Salvador to peace in Brooklyn, NY
See our exclusive day by day inside look at the flight from violent gangs and poverty in El Salavador to Brooklyn, NY