Religion Newswriters Award for best in-depth religion reporting in a series.
Who are we?
On April 30, 2013 we had our 7,000,000th viewer! We are #1 on Google search for "NYC religion." We were founded on July 9, 2010 and continue with your support. Thank-you so very much!
We are exploring the postsecular city.
Join us as we travel down all 6,374.9 miles of our city's streets, every alleyway and quite a few hallways to map and photograph every religious site and to interview clergy and lay leaders at the sites.
We are a public square for the postsecular city. People of faith, people of no faith, liberals, conservatives--all are welcomed to journey together to make this city better for all people. Our warmest feelings are toward those who help the poor, the needy, and the abused.
- New York Times new President/CEO says Christianity is based on objective truth (85 comments)
- NY Times joins A Journey in Jamaica, Queens! (76 comments)
- OpEd: Tim Keller on "NYC School's Decision to Ban Churches" (61 comments)
- The Yin and Yang of Old School PKs, Part 2. Roderick Caesar, Jr.--A Consistent Path (55 comments)
- NYC public housing authority pulls Christmas Pearl Harbor on religious groups (52 comments)
- May 24, 2013: Bobby McFerrin May 23, 2013This Grammy-Award-winning artist’s new album, "spirityouall," includes his interpretations of classic African-American spirituals as well as songs he composed. Through all of them he hears the influence of his father, Robert McFerrin, Sr., who was an operatic baritone. […]
- May 24, 2013: Bobby McFerrin Extended Interview May 23, 2013“To me, just being is a religious experience. Just being is holy.” […]
- May 17, 2013: Full Episode May 17, 2013Watch this week's show. […]
- The Church and the State of Matrimony May 26, 2013An exploration of how, or if, interfaith marriages work in a nation of many religions. […]
- When Hollywood Wants Good, Clean Fun, It Goes to Mormon Country May 26, 2013B.Y.U.’s animation program is not your typical film school. And that’s why its graduates actually get jobs. […]
- Afghan Students Protest Women’s Rights Decree May 23, 2013Hard-line Islamist students protested in Kabul demanding the repeal of a presidential decree for women’s rights that they say is un-Islamic. […]
- Madrid's Catholic Church says it needs exorcists May 24, 2013MADRID (AP) — The Catholic archdiocese in Madrid says it needs more exorcists to help some of its faithful cope with the devil. […]
- In deeply religious Oklahoma, prayer brings solace after tornado May 23, 2013By Alice Mannette MOORE, Oklahoma (Reuters) - In deeply religious Moore, Oklahoma, God and prayer are frequently mentioned as sources of strength for residents reeling from the fourth damaging tornado in 15 years. "My family and God is what's helping us through this," said Vickie Myers, 39, whose husband Brent, a disabled military veteran, is […]
- Catholic order to pay $16.5 million to more than 400 claiming sex abuse May 23, 2013NEW YORK (Reuters) - An order of the Roman Catholic Church has agreed to pay $16.5 million to more than 400 adults who said they were sexually abused as children by religious leaders, the parties announced on Thursday in separate statements. The victims claimed abuse at schools and child-care facilities belonging to the Christian Brothers and the Christian B […]
May 24, 2013, 9:45am EDT
On May 22 NYC Council members set forth the arguments for and against Resolution 1155a. The "Right to Worship" Resolution passed by a vote of ...Share A Journey!More
May 22, 2013, 4:29pm EDT
Council steamrolls over Speaker Christine Quinn's opposition to resolution.Share A Journey!More
May 22, 2013, 12:30am EDT
Speaker Christine Quinn says that she will allow vote.Share A Journey!More
May 21, 2013, 7:00am EDT
Footsteps says it has aided over 700 people in their exits.Share A Journey!More
The Rabbi’s Girls present “Songs of Religion & Rebellion” & “Shira’s Belated 1970s Bat Mitzvah Dance Party!”
May 9, 2013, 5:41pm EDT
An irreverent, often hilarious musical show on the paradox of growing up religious and rebellious in the 1970's. Celebrate Shavuot with Shira Dicker on Tuesday, ...Share A Journey!More
Morris Park, Bronx started!
Misfit Conference May 23-25 @ Salvation Army, 14th Street, Manhattan
Speakers: Ed Young, John Gray, Rich Wilkerson Jr., Wes Stafford, Robert Madu and Adam, Chris & Michael Durso.
Music by Andy Mineo & Kim Walker-Smith of Jesus Culture
More info: misfittheconference.com
Makato Fujimura’s Golden Sea Exhibit May 9 – June 8, 2013
@Dillon Gallery, 555 West 25 St, 212 727 8585
Rejection of Religion: Secularism in the Modern World
New School's holds 15 classes on secularism starting June 5. For more info: 212-229-5961.
———————————————– People who have joined the Journey!
Interesting, thoughtful pastor; we definitely want to stop here again!
Pastor Jose Gonzalez-Colon
First Spanish Presbyterian Church, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
4-year program for pastors, teachers and evangelists.
118 Bushwick Ave
Principal Martha Phegaray
Instituto Biblico Hispano, Williamsburg, Brooklyn
"We help people to get a better life and to know God."
Rev Frombrum Sejour
Eglise Baptiste d'Expression Francaise
A mission church that has an incarnational ministry to the community.
1009 Castleton Ave 2nd Floor,
Pastor Daniel Delgado
Third Day Missions Church, Staten Island
Outreach, mercy and tutoring.
Park Slope, 10:30am, John Jay High School, 237 7th Ave
Williamsburg, 5:30 pm @ St. Paul's Lutheran Church, 334 S. 5th St.
Flatbush, 10:30am, 911 Flatbush Ave.
Rev Matt Brown
Brooklyn Presbyterian Church, Prospect Park, Brooklyn
- Bible NYC Exhibit
Updated weekly with new videos, photos and articles on the use of the Bible in NYC.
@nycreligioninfo [ › ]
Red Barber on Jackie Robinson's Faith
Brooklyn Dodger sportscaster says that the Jackie Robinson story is the story of a spiritual man who didn't hit back.
Harlem's Heaven. Hat shop with a spiritual attitude
2538 Adam Clayton Powell Jr Blvd (At W. 147th Street) New York, NY 10039 (212) 491-7706 Store hours: Tuesday - Saturday 12PM to 6PM (Call for evening appointments) Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kitchens of Faith
Orange glazed asparagus with toasted almonds from Carol Gelles of B’nai Jeshurun, Manhattan
Pope Francis' First Press Conference
March 16, 2013